Saturday, March 14, 2009

I thought I told you that we won't stop?


Back in my childhood, I was never into Hip-Hop... I had long hair and was then rocking out to some Nirvana. However, the louder stereo system in our house kept bumping that good ol' nineties hip-hop on a daily basis. On top of all that Hip-Hop noise, a young, skinny, budding and determined MC was always writing his own raps in front of the system. He called himself ILL-J ". As this continued, I became more and more curious. Then to my utter surprise, my big brother ILL-J (That same young MC) broke through with his group Sun Valley Crew shortly after. I believe it was the excitement of it all, plus continuously introducing me to whats new and relevant in Hip-Hop that got me hooked. There was no turning back from that point. I became Hip-Hop forever. Basically, I owe this fella a lot.

Flash forward some 14-15 odd years later, ILL-J is not so skinny anymore but arguably more determined. No longer is he that same teen rookie rapper trying to prove a point. His former group is now immortalized in the 90's leg of Philippine Hip-Hop history. He is no longer doing the group thing (Though he mentions in this album "The crew had disbanded but I'm still fam with all of them"). He has come of age and it reflects primarily in his music. He no longer writes about trivial matters that count for nothing. He writes about things that perfectly express his maturity at this point in time. He might kid with you from time to time about being too old to do shows but his song making prowess has not dulled one bit. His 2nd offering as a solo act "Logic for Reason" gives you the uncut raw.

The album promises a great balance of different producers such as Arbie Won, Jed-Li, Monique, Traumatik and some person named CHRiZO. He has a few guests including God's Will and even some occasional well placed RnB hooks courtesy of his Fiance', Monique. Logic for Reason may be too much for a young boy's plate, if you're grown you'll love this. I don't want to say this album brings it back to the "realness" because the truth is that he never switched up. He was always real with his. If anything, he enhanced his old self to now something grittier and more fierce. Watch out for it. It will be out in the market sooner than you can say "Demented Lyricist". I already have a copy!:D


No comments: