Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Beep Beep!





Ever heard the expression "My mellow" in any rap song before?  I guess it refers to your "homie", but more specifically the one you roll with and the friend you keep in your inner circle. (I guess). The man in this feature is my mellow, my ace, and he is indeed mellow in character.  Mild mannered DJ Excaliber, or more affectionately known as "Beef" in his hood, is a hybrid skater/DJ/and producer. Honestly, he's one of the most hip-hop friends I have. He skates and scratches everyday plus he owns a thick library of vinyl records. I owe him greatly for supplying super scratches on the last 3 projects I produced.  I'm telling you, I love my hood of Las Pinas.  Beef's hood is just 15 minutes away from my house making collabs a done deal in no time- leaving ample time to chill at his humble studio filled with high-powered gear or just s*oking out.  Pretty soon, he'll have his own coming out party. This dude's got the best beats you've never heard. For now, he has to put in work in Japan to make a living. Here he is to talk about his love affair with 3 crafts he can't live without.  I forgot to ask him "Ba't parati kang nakatawa?!".   

DJ beep. Hip-Hop has 4 elements... Why did you choose DJing?
Nung bata palang ako gusto ko ng maging dj.. dati sa zipper ng pants ko ako nagprapraktis magscratch o kaya sa hologram cards nakakatawa pero totoo..

DJ Beep. How have your travels to Japan helped your skills and DJing?
Halos lahat ng natutunan ko sa japan

DJ Beep. Tell me about the people you have met while in Japan. 
Lahat sila hardworking sa mga craft na ginagawa nila mapa dj,mc,bboy,skate

DJ Beep. Is skating a bigger part of you than DJing is? Or is it the same?
Skateboarding is a bigger part of my life.. kung hindi ako nagskateboard siguro hindi din ako magiging dj.. pero dont get me wrong i love dJing like a husband loves his wife..

DJ Beep. Tell me about your best experiences while skating, and how much of Hip-Hop is involved in skating...
Everytime i skate is a best experience..and hiphop music set my mood parang mahirap mabuhay kung walang skateboarding at hiphop music kasi its a part of my life..

Tell me about your worst experience while skating...
Pinalayas sa spot dahil trespassing kame, raidin ng mga pulis un skatespot nun kainitan ng issue sa alabang boys, makipag batuhan ng bote sa mga gangster tsinelas dahil galit sila sa skater,nasabihan ng (whats up! trasher basurero..) nabalian ng balikat, naoperahan sa tuhod,nabagok pero un ang challenge sa skateboarding pagkatapos mo madapa kailangan mo tumayo para magskate ulet

DJ Beep. You are not only a DJ, you are also a producer as well. Tell me more about your style and what kinds of beats you like.
My style is a traditional hiphop,jazzy mood, puchy beats that i learned from(chrizo magnifico!)

DJ Beep. Among DJing, Skating and Beatmaking- Sino bestfriend mo sa tatlo?
Lahat best friend ko pag stressed sa gf nagiiskate teraphy ako, pag pagod nako pero stressed paren dj ang ginagawa ko at bago ako matulog para maganda ang gising kailangan magawa ko un beat na naririnig ko sa isip ko (pero ngayon break na kame ng gf ko pero gagawen ko paren un lifestyle ko)

How important are girls?
Pinakamagandang creation ni god ay babae.. sobrang importanteng inspiration sa music di lang sa music pati sa buhay.. =)

Kailan ka babablik?
Naku hindi ko pa alam kung kelan ako babalik may trabaho kasi ako magiipon ako pambili kotse para pogi..

No comments: